Job reference number 107939
With the ability to operate across Waterfall and Agile delivery, the Project Manager has end to end accountability for project delivery (waterfall) and has accountability for delivery team performance, while product performance sits with Product Owner (agile), Managing the project delivery process, ensuring that selected suppliers deliver; acquiring & utilising the necessary resources & skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales and quality.
1. Accountable for execution of the project management process to ensure delivery, in line with RMG policies and methods (Agile or Waterfall) including project control, risk management, change management, issue resolution, progress reporting, project documentation & administration, and quality reviews
2. Management of suppliers from the approved panel, to deliver the specified requirements within RMG policies & methods; including due diligence on supplier capabilities relative to requirements
3. Provision of accurate project costing, including supplier quotes & tenders, required as input to the Business Case and define the benefits. Continuous review of the project finances and resources through the duration of the project
4. Managing suppliers and project team to deliver the project within the Business Case, to the required time, cost & quality, continuously reviewing and ensuring these align to the original business case objectives, and escalate where there is a deviation
5. Facilitating signoff by key stakeholders and managing deployments
6. Plan and monitor projects using best practice and agree plans and roadmaps with business stakeholders, including management of supplier deliverables and adherence to contract obligations
7. Responsible for overall progress & use of resources. Initiate corrective action when necessary. Manage risks & contingency, escalating major risks & proposing possible solutions to Business Partners and Programme managers where necessary
8. Manage project scope and change control and escalate issues where necessary, including changes to benefits realisation
9. Co-ordinate communication as agreed in the Communication Plan
10. Works collaboratively with development team and holds them to account on delivery commitments. Leverages resources to improve capacity for project work. Can perform key Systems Integrator role.
11. Educates stakeholders in Agile ways of working and the benefits of iterative software delivery
12. Supports the Product Owner in managing customer expectations for project deliverables
Budget or financial targets (directly accountable) • Budget responsibility of ~£5m Investment spend • Operates within agreed cost/time/quality parameters (waterfall) • Operates within agreed quality and release cadence parameters, meeting key Product milestone KPIs (agile) Scales of impact (team, function, division, group wide) • Capable of managing in a matrix environment, reporting in to either a Technology or Business Programme lead and managing individuals outside of direct reporting line (supplier delivery teams and also teams within the business) • Ability to operate across a range of technologies and projects with varying degrees of technical depth. Team size • Up to 3-6, depending on the project structure (apprentices, Project Management Office or Project Support Officer)
Key Skills Experience and Qualifications required for this specific role
Key Skills • Has sufficient credibility and gravitas, and ability to work with and relate to a highly demanding internal client base and complex external supplier base. Appreciation of how the architecture, policies and governance are applied to delivery of the project. • Ability to develop and maintain internal partner relationships, with sound understanding of working with 3rd parties, with excellent people management skills, able to manage upwards and influence in a complex environment • Strong technical awareness to manage programmes with a high degree of technology content and able to operate across a range of technologies and business areas. Ability to probe into application, infrastructure and all solution components • In-depth understanding of business, with a desire to contribute in a collaborative, team based environment,beyond the direct remit of the position. Experience • Demonstrable experience of delivering Projects of full life cycle large technology integration projects from concept through to operational use • Experience of working with collaboration tools such as Jira and Confluence • Experience of going through the transformation from Waterfall to Agile delivery methodologies Qualifications • A recognised project and programme management methodology, e.g. Prince 2, Scrum of Scrums, Kanban, SAFE.
About Royal Mail:
The Royal Mail Technology team is passionate about delivering high-quality products and outstanding digital experiences to our customers. Technology is instrumental in helping us achieve our objective to be recognised as the best delivery company in the UK and across Europe
With a workforce of 150,000, our core network handles c.16 billion letters and c.1 billion parcels a year, delivering to more than 29 million addresses, 6 days a week. Our technology therefore needs to operate at scale. As a data driven business, with the largest PDA estate in the country, our systems need to handle more than 60m scan events and 1.4bn data points per day.
Royal Mail is committed to building an internal development and testing capability, driving digital innovation across the business enabling our business to transform at pace. You will be working for a brand that's a household name and a critical part of the UK's infrastructure.
Our technology vision is to "Enable, Digitise, Realise":
- Enable - Create environments where open conversations are the norm and where teams work alongside each other to complement skills.
- Digitise - Utilise Technology to support the business. Making Technology thinking integral to the business. Increase the level of automation and implement connected systems.
- Realise - Invest in technology and keep taking all opportunities to consolidate systems. Focus on removing complexity within our systems and enable our cost base to decrease.
We are fully embracing Agile and DevOps, and using tools such as Alexa, Azure and Google Cloud, Chatbot, Microsoft .NET Core, Angular and mobile apps.
Our priorities include:
Our postmen/women use 80,000 Android mobile devices and we are continuing to roll out new Apps all the time to help them to deliver a first class customer service.International business is one of our f
Your Reference: 747828053